Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January the long...February the Great (so far...ugh!)

 
I thought I would blog more than I do but I just don’t have the time.  Or if I do have the time I feel like I just don’t have anything interesting enough to say in a blog to make it worth anybody’s time to read.  I don’t really have enough to say for this blog actually, but in the interest of wasting time when I really shouldn’t be wasting time, I’m going to waste some time.

I believe that January 2011 has been the longest month in the history of months.  I think back to New Year’s eve and it seems that it was centuries ago!  It must be the coming back to work from the holidays blues that makes January so excruciating.  That and the fact that the weeks can’t go by fast enough for the next paycheck in order to somewhat recover from the overspending that was done in December.  Not that January hasn’t had it’s share of expenses.  So many birthdays in January!  I think this will be the last year I attempt to celebrate my birthday in the month of January.  Next year I’m  having a beach party on July 14th instead.  Hope to see you all there!!....well…all of you except Kelly…unless, Kelly, you keep the throwing of sand and spitting in my special place to a minimum!  ;)  Another thing that’s made January a rough month is the change in Emily’s sleep pattern.  All of a sudden she no longer wants to sleep through the night.  It started about two weeks ago.  She started waking up every night at around 2am and didn’t want to go back to sleep no matter how hard we tried to ignore her pleas.  One night she was so sick of us not coming to her rescue that she decided that she would leap out of her crib to FREEDOM!  Horrified at the thud Joe leapt up out of bed and ran to the aid of the fallen Emily.  We kept her in our bed for a couple of nights until we were able to convert her bed into a toddler bed.  When we finally did change it Emily wanted nothing to do with it.  It took me about an hour to try to get her to go to sleep.  While she lay comfortably in the bed I knelt next to the bed with only the top half of my body on the bed laying next to her to coax her to sleep.  After an hour of this I could hardly get up.  My old bones can’t handle situations such as these as well as they might have once upon a time.  Her slumber only lasted until 2am when she started crying and calling “Ma ma….Ma ma…”  When she started getting hysterical I went to her to try to calm her down and lay her back in the bed.  She was having none of that.  They say you should just pick your toddler up and put them back in the bed whenever they get out…so she kept getting out and I kept picking her up and putting her back in.  This went on for an hour and she was crying hysterically the entire time.  Eventually she stayed as long as I got back into the previous bone hurting position and after about another hour she seemed to be sleeping sound enough for me to tip-toe back to my own room.  By this time is was about 4:25am.  I have to get up for work at 5:15am…so my night was pretty much over.  Fifteen minutes later she was crying again, got out of the crib, went to the door (which was gated off) and stood at the gate crying and calling for us.  We just let her be and after about 15 more minutes all was quiet again.  Twenty minutes later my alarm went off and it was time for me to start the day.  I stopped by  her room before getting in the shower and saw her lying there on the floor on top of the blanket we had placed on the side of the bed in case she fell out.  Poor thing.  After all that I feel sorry for HER?  <sigh> 

Since that night we haven’t been too consistent about trying to get her to stay in her bed.  I bought a body pillow for her in the bed so that it will sort of block her in, but now she’s sick so we haven’t even bothered putting her in there for the last few nights.  This morning she woke up at about 4:15am wanting her bottle.  After she had finished it I gave her some medicine to help with her coughing and then she lay down comfortably (for her) on my chest.  Just when I thought she was about to drift off to sleep again she let out a little cough and then BAM! proceeded to throw up the entire contents of her bottle on my chest and in my hair.  Needless to say my hope for getting a few more minutes of sleep were shattered and into the shower I hopped. So…so far February is a banner month!  Can’t wait to see what the rest of it will bring!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry Jessica! I can totally relate, 3 times over. Have you tried setting up a "bed" for you on her floor next to her toddler bed? I slept that way for a long time, on a soft quilt on the floor next to the kids. Nothing really helps except them growing out of it. Good luck and be sure and ask for help if you need it!

    ReplyDelete